Monday, October 14, 2013

Bog Assignment 4 What it means to be relational

Before this program I only thought about how to teach and engage students, but now I realize teaching is so much more--the best learning happens where there is a connection. I see now that I need to get know my students, beyond their learning capabilities and as individuals. One teacher in a teaching video I viewed this summer shared that on a regular basis, he asks students to tell him how they're doing in a private note that he collects. He looks at each note and responds. This same teacher also makes an effort to attend school plays and sporting events. Though time-consuming, these kind of efforts seem like they would pay off immensely in the classroom, and I would like to try these avenues when I become a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas to help support students. All these efforts do payoff with students and their families.

    ReplyDelete